Discussion: Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 14 of 14  |  Show  posts at a time

Wild-Kat
Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 2 2010, 8:08 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 2 2010, 8:10 AM EDT
19 year old teen mom Bristol Palin joins the Season 11 lineup of DWTS! What do you think about Bristol Palin and her inclusion on the cast list? 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None

dancecraze
1. RE: Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 2 2010, 11:09 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 2 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
since when is Bristol considered a star?????? Are they that desperate to fill the cast vacancies with anyone? and where are the new/recent celebrities? enough of the has beens. I read on-line where she's already complaining and being a cry baby.....remind you of anyone from last season????? (Kate)!!!! 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
wendallpauls
wendallpauls
2. RE: Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 3 2010, 7:14 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 3 2010, 7:14 PM EDT
Oh, let's not start this nonsense. Who, among any of these people, are "stars"? Florence Henderson's 'star' days thirty years in the past. Jennifer Grey hasn't done anything since 1987. When did Brandy last release a competent piece of music? Kurt Warner and Rick Fox? Sure, they won championships - in the past! I know you'll say Kurt Warner with the Cardinals last season, but compared to his star days with the Rams, it's nothing. Let me not even mention Margaret Cho or David Hasselhoff. None of these people are actual 'stars'. They are merely people with name recognition that will draw an audience. Bristol Palin, while not a performer, fits into that category quite smoothly. 0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
williamgl
williamgl
3. RE: Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 5 2010, 4:23 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 5 2010, 4:23 AM EDT
LOL well at least Florence Henderson and all the rest have at done something in their own right what has Bristal Palin done? I did not realize that time was a factor here. I am sure she will ride her mothers coat tails to a fairly good showing though. If you can't even consider David Hasselhoff a star it is already showing that Palin has an unfair advantage. Go make a cup of tea. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
wendallpauls
wendallpauls
4. RE: Bristol Palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 5 2010, 1:08 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 5 2010, 1:08 PM EDT
To quote Janet Jackson, 'What have you done for me lately?'.

With the exception of, perhaps, Kurt Warner, none of them have done anything lately, placing them in the media spotlight. Okay, I overlooked David Hasselhoff. He has kept himself in the spotlight with his time on America's Got Talent; andsSure, Bristol Palin hasn't done anything in terms of 'performance'. She's no performer, and it's unlikely she'll get very far - probably as far as Kate Gosselin did last season. But she does have more current exposure in the media than any of the others - hence the "star' label in our current reality-star media-obsessed culture. The others, with the exception of Hasselhoff, Warner, and probably Sorentino (whom I wonder if he'll ever show up), rely upon past success.

Regardless, I will be interested to see how everyone does. I hope she does well. And I think discounting her as an official "star", simply because she not a singer or an actor or athlete, shows the dense nature of our society. 'Star' should just mean someone who is known in the media spotlight.
0  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

redmenace529
5. re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 7 2010, 1:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 7 2010, 1:17 AM EDT
No, that's not what is should mean, but apparently that's what it does mean. "Star" should mean, and has historically meant, one who has excelled or otherwise achieved some degree of broad-based notoriety in one's field, There's' no time limit on it. Elvis is a skeleton by now, but still considered a "star". Lauren Bacall hasn't been seen on any sort of regular basis in eons, yet is still inarguably a capital-S Star, and the show isn't called "Dancing With the Merely Rich and/or Famous". As I mentioned on another thread, the spirit of the show was always kind of a B-list thing anyway. No currently working BIG-BIG name star is going to have time to do a dance show that requires that committment of one's own time and/or risk injury, so keep dreaming if anyone's waiting to see Wil Smith or Charlie Sheen. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
wendallpauls
wendallpauls
6. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 8 2010, 12:22 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 8 2010, 12:22 PM EDT
No, there is a time limit on it. How many people were stars back in the 40's and 50's (everyone knew there name); but today, there name is much the stranger to our current world as any regular person off the street. Unfortunately, with the shallow way our culture has devolved these past few decades, a person doesn't need to have any talent to be known. Reality TV and junk journalism has made anyone who can get their face in front of a camera a star.

0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

redmenace529
7. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Sep 10 2010, 2:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 10 2010, 2:54 AM EDT
As I said, I'm going by what it has historically meant (and still does according to Webster's), not what the lowest commont cultural denominator has decided it means. Mozart is still a star, but I guess you missed that point. In any case, this semantic discussion is rather far afield from what this site is for, and I'm not watching this season anyway, so....I'm not that invested in this topic. I'll use the definition I have and you please do use yours. It ultimately has no impact. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

itisover
8. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 17 2010, 1:04 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2010, 1:04 AM EST
Calling Bristol Palin a 'teen activist' cracks me up. Yes, she is a teen and she was active but not in a good way. The fact that she's now speaking about abstinance after her cow has already been let out of the barn is merely trying to do damage control for her mother's image. DWTS needs to gets some real stars. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

dancecraze
9. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 17 2010, 5:04 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2010, 5:04 AM EST
I agree with you 100% What is DWTS coming too! I'm not surprised or shocked she got this far with her lack of talent, no personality or charisma! I knew Max and Brandy wasn't going to make it either because alot of voters don't like Max. He comes across as stubborn, arrogant, rude and mean but personally, I love him. He's talented, honest, and very passionate but underrated and misunderstood. When he and Carrie Ann had harsh words...I knew that sealed his coffin! Will I continue to watch and vote.....The vote is still out on that...probably not..it's becoming more of a "popularity" contest more than an actual "talent/entertaining contest" for the last 2 years. Bored with it. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ElRoi
10. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 17 2010, 3:06 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2010, 3:06 PM EST
itisover ~ Actually itisover, I think your disingenuous !

Bristol made a mistake, and now she wants to help other girls avoid that mistake. Ever go to an AA meeting and have the moderator tell his audience he never drank ! Ever go to a substance abuse meeting and have the moderator tell his audience he never did drugs ! I'm sure your as white as snow !
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ElRoi
11. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 17 2010, 3:13 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 17 2010, 3:13 PM EST
Maybe you Bristol cry babbies and conspiracy theorists ought to read what Tom Bergeron, host of DWTS, had to say: interviews / Movie Line magazine || by Louis Virtel || 11 15 2010 / (Tom Bergeron): Here’s the thing. Let’s address the Bristol thing. That’s the thing I get the biggest kick out of on the show. I’m going to put on my political hat. I’m a liberal Democrat, and I state that proudly. But I have no patience with my friends who believe there is a conspiracy keeping Bristol on the show. They’ll say, and they’re friends of a similar political persuasion though I have friends across the spectrum, “Oh, well! She’s still on the show! She’s obviously not the best dancer! She gets the lowest scores!” My response to that is similar to my response to the midterm elections. I’ll say, “OK, right. So who did you vote for instead of Bristol?” “Uh, well, I don’t vote!” “Well, then, f*ck you.” I mean, basically! You can clean that up. I have no patience for that! If you don’t participate to create a different outcome — and this can be true in national politics or a TV reality show — then don’t piss and moan if you don’t like the way it’s playing out. You know, I’m sorry! I think Bristol is clearly not the best dancer here, but she’s a charming young woman who’s shown an incredible growth from week one to this week. If she happens to get more votes for whatever reason, more power to her. If you don’t like it, vote for someone else. But that’s been the part of the show that’s amused me, how quickly people are to seize on conspiracy theories when people aren’t involved in the process.

1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
cats.509
cats.509
12. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 23 2010, 7:58 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 23 2010, 7:58 AM EST
"Maybe you Bristol cry babbies and conspiracy theorists ought to read what Tom Bergeron, host of DWTS, had to say: interviews / Movie Line magazine || by Louis Virtel || 11 15 2010 / (Tom Bergeron): Here’s the thing. Let’s address the Bristol thing. That’s the thing I get the biggest kick out of on the show. I’m going to put on my political hat. I’m a liberal Democrat, and I state that proudly. But I have no patience with my friends who believe there is a conspiracy keeping Bristol on the show. They’ll say, and they’re friends of a similar political persuasion though I have friends across the spectrum, “Oh, well! She’s still on the show! She’s obviously not the best dancer! She gets the lowest scores!” My response to that is similar to my response to the midterm elections. I’ll say, “OK, right. So who did you vote for instead of Bristol?” “Uh, well, I don’t vote!” “Well, then, f*ck you.” I mean, basically! You can clean that up. I have no patience for that! If you don’t participate to create a different outcome — and this can be true in national politics or a TV reality show — then don’t piss and moan if you don’t like the way it’s playing out. You know, I’m sorry! I think Bristol is clearly not the best dancer here, but she’s a charming young woman who’s shown an incredible growth from week one to this week. If she happens to get more votes for whatever reason, more power to her. If you don’t like it, vote for someone else. But that’s been the part of the show that’s amused me, how quickly people are to seize on conspiracy theories when people aren’t involved in the process.

"
Bristol is no dancer. To take someone like Brandy & Maks off the show, its sad. They are great dancers. Yes, I did vote & it was not for Bristol. She might be a wonderful person, but she can not dance.

1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

ElRoi
13. RE: re: bristol palin on Dancing with the Stars!
Nov 23 2010, 10:25 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 23 2010, 10:25 AM EST
Cats.509

DWTS producers said they have heard from the public but that they are not going to change how the voting is done. They might as well have said that DWTS is a popularity contest. Why go on DWTS if clearly the best dancers are not going to be rewarded ? If I were given the choice, the final would be between Brandy, Jennifer & Kyle. I have nothing against Bristol, she is very likeable. However, if I were given the say so, Bristol would have ended up # 5. Seeing that DWTS is going to be firm in their rules for the show, maybe Bristol should win, and then let's see what the response is from the voters !!!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?