Discussion: Will Stars Resist Signing Up?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 4 posts

offwithherhead
Will Stars Resist Signing Up?
May 25 2010, 7:54 AM EDT | Post edited: May 25 2010, 7:54 AM EDT
Do you think that having some stars that have actual dance training and use dance in their professional careers will deter stars, in the future, from signng up. Last season with Mya and this season with Nicole, there has been a wide range of talent, and I was wondering if you thnk that some stars might not want to make themselves look bad by this.

Both seasons Len has tried to narrow that gap in his remarks and scores, but the professionals are clearly in a league of their own right from the start and it is only a matter of time (usually 5 or 6 weeks) before even Len has to give in.

What are your thoughts?
Do you find this valuable?    
pawalker2010
pawalker2010
1. RE: Will Stars Resist Signing Up?
Jun 1 2010, 7:33 AM EDT | Post edited: Jun 1 2010, 7:33 AM EDT
I hope it does not but you never know.....while Nicole was clearly the best I did feel she had a head start....maybe they need to cast a separate show for people with more training than others.....I was really rooting for Erin as I believe she showed the most progress this season.....I was very dissappointed when she was the first finalist eliminated.....I really felt she brought more to the finals than Evan.....of course this also goes back to the season Stacy Kebler was on and she was eliminated before Jerry Rice.....guess I'm just a whiner...lol...anyhow all in all a great season Do you find this valuable?    

ee4774
2. RE: Will Stars Resist Signing Up?
Jul 1 2010, 10:33 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 1 2010, 10:33 AM EDT
I seriously doubt that half the stars who sign up really believe they will win. Especially the ones who are not physically fit, have the time to devote to training, lack musicality or performance ability (acting, singing) or have been out of the public eye long enough to not have a solid fanbase. Did Shannen, Buzz, Kate, Neicy, Aiden or Jake really think they had a chance of winning? My guess is most are grateful to have the national exposure for as long as possible. Do you find this valuable?    

redmenace529
3. RE: Will Stars Resist Signing Up?
Jul 5 2010, 9:36 AM EDT | Post edited: Jul 5 2010, 9:36 AM EDT
I don't think it would influence anyone's decision either way - the opportunity to learn ballroom seems to strike a deep chord with a lot of people, celebrities and "commoners" alike, lol. -And it's good exposure and a paycheck after all. What it really affects is how enjoyable it is for us, the audience. Personally, I would exclude anyone who uses any sort of dance or choreography in their profession, including figure skaters (Yeah, I know, it's an unpopular view, as much as it's said the two are "completely different", they're really not all that different. There are concepts for ballroom that will be well known to a figure skater, even if executed differently). Pro football players in certain positions (receivers, eg) also take ballet quite extensively in some coaching programs, so I would exclude them too if they've taken lessons in the last say....5 years. The spirit of the show is that these are supposed to be B- listers with little or no familiarity with dance learning on the fly and competing on a more-or-less level field, at least experientially. The ringers - and they're ringers - negate that. I'd also like to see them get back to scoring on the actual requirements of the dances. What I've seen pass for rumba and samba in the last couple of seasons really stretched the bounds of those definitions. There's nothing wrong with educating the audience about dance a little while they're at it. Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)