Discussion: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts

offwithherhead
Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Mar 30 2010, 5:15 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 30 2010, 5:15 AM EDT
I was just thinking that the producers might actually want to be more careful when they are casting a season. Specifically, I am referring to this season's more than obvious mistake of casting Kate Gosselin. The fear that she shows everytime that she takes the dance floor is painful and very uncomfortable to watch. One of the things that I have come to enjoy in watching this show is seeing the Celebs having a good time doing something that is totally out of their comfort zone. Kate takes it too seriously and as the judges have said frequently, "You are not a performer". Maybe they SHOULD stick to performers. Your thoughts? Do you find this valuable?    

madmom03
1. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Mar 30 2010, 6:32 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 30 2010, 6:32 AM EDT
I personally do not like Kate Gosselin but I would rather see a dancer like that than one like Nicole who is way too qualified to be on the show. I like to see the transformation of the celebrities who truly do not know how to dance (ex. Ty Murray) that make it thru the season thru hard work that you can see in the end.
Do you find this valuable?    

offwithherhead
2. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Mar 30 2010, 9:01 AM EDT | Post edited: Mar 30 2010, 9:01 AM EDT
"I personally do not like Kate Gosselin but I would rather see a dancer like that than one like Nicole who is way too qualified to be on the show. I like to see the transformation of the celebrities who truly do not know how to dance (ex. Ty Murray) that make it thru the season thru hard work that you can see in the end.
"
I couldn't agree with you more about the "ringers". I don't think it is fair to have dancers on the show...the others know going in that they don't stand a chance. I have never been a fan of having people like this on the show. Last season, Mya was my biggest pet pieve for just these reasons. Now, we have Nicole. Hey, maybe next season they will bring Julianne back as a "celebrity" and team her with Derek. lol.

raider1553
3. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 6 2010, 10:07 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2010, 10:07 AM EDT
I think that maybe they should put an age limit on the contestants or tell the judges to lighten up. How well is an 80 something going to be able to dance if they have never danced before? I feel so bad when they say mean things to Buzz. At least give him credit for trying 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

offwithherhead
4. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 6 2010, 10:17 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 6 2010, 10:17 AM EDT
"I think that maybe they should put an age limit on the contestants or tell the judges to lighten up. How well is an 80 something going to be able to dance if they have never danced before? I feel so bad when they say mean things to Buzz. At least give him credit for trying"
I think the judges want to give him credit, but like they said, they are judging a dancing competition. The mistake lies in the producers hands in the casting. I do think they can be nicer in their comments, but in the past (and with Buzz) I have noticed that the elderly contestants don't hold back their opinions...and that is great. I really appreciated Buzz throwing his hat at Len. Go Buzz!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
lovelylady54
lovelylady54
5. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 7 2010, 8:58 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 7 2010, 8:58 AM EDT
I think you have a point. There should be an age limit, and if a person has any profession dealing with dancing, they shouldn't be on the show. Nicole dances some as a perform when she sings. You have to admit, her dance was great this past Monday night. It reminded me of watching Gene Kelley. I totally loved it, and was very entertained. One of the judges even said the same thing. The rest of the dancers, have no chance of beating her. She is the one with the most talent along with Ice Skater. Do you find this valuable?    
BrandonE
BrandonE
6. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 7 2010, 9:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 7 2010, 9:25 AM EDT
True, but there is a reason they pick people with dance experience. It's all because they're worried "What if they all suck?" then no one would want to watch a dancing show where everyone is horrible. They bring in that celebrity with experience to guarantee they will have at least 1 person getting 10s! Do you find this valuable?    
lovelylady54
lovelylady54
7. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 7 2010, 11:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Apr 7 2010, 11:56 AM EDT
"True, but there is a reason they pick people with dance experience. It's all because they're worried "What if they all suck?" then no one would want to watch a dancing show where everyone is horrible. They bring in that celebrity with experience to guarantee they will have at least 1 person getting 10s!"
You are probably right. Last week Nicole was upset because she was having a hard time. I use to take ball room dance lessons. It is nothing like regular dancing. So this type of dancing is new to her, and it isn't that easy to learn. She is great to watch, I am her biggest fan.

Pat320
8. RE: Casting...Should The Producers Be More Cautious?
Apr 14 2010, 2:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Apr 14 2010, 2:43 PM EDT
I like that a person like Buzz can participate and the producers look for legends like him. That mere fact that Buzz didn't walk away from the invitation is a telling fact. He's an incredible guy who isn't afraid to compete at any level at any age. And being mean to him.HA! The man was in the military and an astronaut. Do you think he doesn't know what 'mean' is? Heck, he probably endured more 'mean' than any poster here. He can take it. AND he did great! His performance was lower level and he knew it. But he took the challenge.

Further, for the producers, it must be difficult to get people to commit such a block of time to a grueling athletic competition who are novices to begin. I'd love to see more A-list actors/actresses. But, given what I've seen in the news, they want money unless it's for an earthquake that has lots of media attention and equals big bucks in marketing themselves free--a la GC.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)