Discussion: Is DWTS a test of ultimate skil, popularity or TV ratings?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 3 posts

perthshireman
Is DWTS a test of ultimate skil, popularity or TV ratings?
Nov 25 2009, 3:15 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 3:15 AM EST
My wife and I have watched DWTS since it originally aired and this year has definitely been the worst, but more importantly I now do not understand the intent of the show. As my subject matter indicates I now question the show's intent, but am more than ever inclined to believe it's design is for ratings rather than to select the person that in the end demonstrats the best dancing skills. Nothing against Donny for he is an entertainer as he has been for 46 years and did improve his dancing skills tremendously over the weeks, but he did not compare to Mya. Also what about Natalie Coughlin, she may have been the second and possibly best dancer if not ejected in Week 5 by the home vote. I don't know the selection process for the stars but it would be nice maybe if the home vote is going to control, which is seems it is going to do that the stars be selected with a more even distribution of popularity so in the end if the progress evenly with their dancing skills each may have an opportunity to win rather than knowing regardless of how well they dance they won't win because they will lose the popular vote. On the other hand if the show is just a rating show then I would just like to know so I won't waste my time viewing next year. Do you find this valuable?    

dawn:)
1. RE: Is DWTS a test of ultimate skil, popularity or TV ratings?
Nov 25 2009, 4:00 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 4:00 AM EST
I think when they have the 'after dance' interview with Samantha that the statement she makes should not be, "if so and so are your favorites be sure to text your vote or vote online" but rather "when voting, be sure to vote for the contestant that you think is the most improved." I usually try to vote thinking about who has improved from the past week. I would like to see them use "stars" that don't have any musical or dancing background. If a star is a singer or member of some kind of band they have an edge because they have the musical background. Using a star whose career has not included any kind of musical background would make a more even field because the voting could more easily be focused on who is improving from week to week. Entertainers also have a bit of an edge because they have learned how to work a crowd and play to the crowd. Every season I have watched it seems to end up being a popularity vote, who has the most fans. I have been delighted with almost every result, but almost every winner has been one with a large fan base.

I do like that they have had people who are not in the entertainment business, I would like to see more of that kind of contestant.
Do you find this valuable?    

Micjduff
2. RE: Is DWTS a test of ultimate skil, popularity or TV ratings?
Nov 25 2009, 6:13 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 6:13 AM EST
True Mya was the better dancer but if you check her out she has way more dance experience then Donny or Kelly, Donny is more just a show biz dancer and kelly next to none as far as dance experience.. so Donny and Kellys popularity vs. Mya's almost an unknown and her extensive dance experience makes it a fair dance off one cancels the other...so IMHO Donny won fair and square... Do you find this valuable?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)