Discussion: Season 9... Great? Not great?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 9 posts
jakefwp
jakefwp
Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 24 2009, 8:11 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2009, 8:11 PM EST
I'm having a hard time putting my finger on this season. I thought Donny and Kelly were two of the most fun people they've ever had on the show.

But then Mya never really caught on despite being the best dancer by far. And the rest of the cast wasn't all that engaging, either. There were so many weak links.

Maybe it was just the bigger cast that made it feel like it could have been better. I'd love to see them go back to 12 or 13 couples instead of 16. It felt like this season didn't even really get started until the last few weeks.

Any thoughts?
Do you find this valuable?    
BrandonE
BrandonE
1. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 24 2009, 8:15 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2009, 8:16 PM EST
I'm completely shocked Donny won! After all of their last dances, I still thought Mya was going to take it.

I think the results could have been altered if the judges didn't do the ranking system on the Megamix and the Favorite Dances. I could tell Carrie Ann would have given Kelly a 10 for her Viennese Waltz, and maybe the Megamix scores could have altered it too.

Maybe the reason the dances weren't so exciting was becuase they were pushing the stars even harder this season. The final 3 had to practice 4 dances in 5 days. WOW!
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

jcharmed23
2. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 24 2009, 9:06 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 24 2009, 9:06 PM EST
I really loved the show at first, but I cant deny my disappointment that Mya didnt win. I was never a huge fan of hers before, but I she really was the best dancer from the final 3! Oh well, the vote really does make or break u! 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
fmiller463
fmiller463
3. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 25 2009, 1:49 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 1:49 AM EST
I was highly shocked and disappointed that Mya did not win. I thought that she was the better dancer and she held that mark for just about the entire season. It was plain to see who the judges and ABC was pushing for and that was Donnie. I thought to have him come out and sing a song for an eliminated couple was totally bias and gave him additional face time. It was also plain to see that the judges, especially Bruno was high on Donnie's hog and that it was in the bag for him. I do think that Donnie is a great entertainer and has been for years but Mya was the better dancer.

With all that being said, I did not get the same thrill out of this season as compared to last season because I thought Gil should won last year. I think ABC needs to rethink how to judge this, and that is to just have the judges be the only ones judging for the last rounds and not the fans.

I also think that the next round of dancers/stars should go back to 12 or 13 and to do a better job at picking the contestants, because alot of them were just terrible to watch.

Just my thoughts.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

bpg507
4. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 25 2009, 3:06 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 3:06 AM EST
It's true Mya had the technical ability and age going for her, but she was just missing something. Can't put my finger on it, but up until Monday after each of her dances and comments she had the same "coy" expression, like she seemed so shy and amazed at what the judges said. It was a like watching a 1950's old show & seeing the same expression every week!. She was good and she darn well knew it. Everyone knows Mya is anything but coy, innocent, or shy. However, I'm THRILLED that Donny won. He deserved it. I don't know any of these commentors are over the age of 50, but wait til your 50 and even if you're in good shape try doing anything that Donny accomplished on that show!!!! He was an inspiration to anyone over 50, to get in shape and feel better. I commend him completely. It goes to show you that fans really do appreciate candor, honesty, and perseverence pays off. Donny knew when he did good and knew when he screwed up. He has been the most gracious winners of all the DWTS Champs!
Bravo, bravo Donny!!!!
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    
BrandonE
BrandonE
5. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 25 2009, 12:44 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 12:45 PM EST
They all had different reasons to deserve it. Mya was the best dancer, Donny was the fan-favorite, and Kelly's story was touching everyone (I loved her Viennese Waltz!).

Even though I wanted Kelly to win it and end the show high. Mya, based on the last two nights, beat Donny.

offwithherhead
6. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 25 2009, 1:12 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 1:13 PM EST
Mya was the best dancer, but I didn't want her to win. Carrie Ann had said that she had the most natural talent for dance, and that may be true, but she also had the most PREVIOUS ballroom training. (not going to dig that bone up again, lol). I am actually glad that Donny won...I am over 50, so I can totally appreciate what he has accomplished...I couldn't do it. But my favorite was Kelly...I just really enjoyed watching her, and she came so far on the show.

I have to agree with most of you that thought that this season was a little lack-lustre. I agree that 12 or 13 stars would be better and maybe put a little more thought into who they choose. I am now looking forward to season 10....can't wait now!!!

BTW, welcome to the new members posting...great to have you here!!

walrusworldstudios
7. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 25 2009, 4:34 PM EST | Post edited: Nov 25 2009, 4:34 PM EST
I am going to have to say Mya should have won. I was really disappointed when she did not, and Donny won. I am going to have to say that was a true curve in the show, and something I was NOT expecting at all.

I agree with a few of the people posting on this thread. I believe that 12 or 13 stars would have been better, and I did not like the fact they picked 16 stars! I feel this season was dragged on a bit because of the increase in couples.

However, as offwithherhead said, I cannot wait for Season 10! I hope it is better than Season 9 was!
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
8. RE: Season 9... Great? Not great?
Nov 30 2009, 7:47 AM EST | Post edited: Nov 30 2009, 7:47 AM EST
When the "cult of personality" takes over from a decent competition then the show is toast. This was their worst ratings since season one. In a word : a disaster.
Not even a silly over the top sob story about rehab for a poor chubby rich girl or endless pimping on ET for a cheezy old Osmond has been could save it.

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)