Discussion: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 11 of 11  |  Show  posts at a time
jakefwp
jakefwp
Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 28 2009, 9:00 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 28 2009, 9:00 PM EDT
It only took two shows for Maksim Chmerkovskiy to get Debi Mazar to cry. Has he ever had a partner who hasn't cried? It has to be him, right?

Or is he just being a demanding teacher, in a good way, and his partners are taking it too hard? I mean, Debi seems like a bit of a drama queen.
0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

maksfan
1. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 29 2009, 5:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 5:42 AM EDT
Definitely not a jerk. Definitely a demanding teacher. He can tell Mazar has potential and he wants her to put her best foot forward (literally). Plus, I've noticed he's really different this season. I think Karina truly broke his heart. He was in it for love, she was in it for publicity. 2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

offwithherhead
2. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 29 2009, 5:46 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 5:46 AM EDT
I would like to think that he sees the potential in his partners...maybe he just goes about drawing out that potential in the wrong way. I also think that Debi might just be a little nervous after hurting her neck last week, and when she sees herself being pushed, she is worried about reinjury. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
mikesim711
mikesim711
3. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 29 2009, 7:26 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 29 2009, 7:26 AM EDT
I don't think he is being a jerk at all. He is just trying to get Debi to put out the best performance she can. These "Stars" are not use to the physical riggors required to perform these intricate dances, and it's up the the Pros to push them to the limit, just like they were pushed in their dancing classes to become who they are today. I have been involved with the world of dance for over 30 years and I know first hand how physcially demanding it is to be a great dancer, there is no slacking and no pampering. If you want the best you need to put out the best and sometimes in order to get that performance you need to be blunt and honest and if it hurst someones feelings, well sorry but they need to toughen up and get a thicker skin. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
eguy
eguy
4. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 30 2009, 7:54 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 7:54 AM EDT
Just from the footage we saw, I could easily understand how she felt he was yelling at her. Remember she even said something to the effect of him talking to her like an idiot, and if any student feels like that, there's something seriously wrong. There was that shot where he was like "left, left, show me your left," like she wouldn't know where her left was. There's a better way to teach. You wouldn't ever see Derek Hough or Mark Ballas act like that. They have fun rehearsals and usually, their dancers have fun with it on the dance floor. And the result of Maks 'tough' teaching was a tango that was so stiff that it was painful to watch. If the dancers aren't having fun, the audience isn't having fun. 0  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

offwithherhead
5. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 30 2009, 10:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 10:42 AM EDT
"Just from the footage we saw, I could easily understand how she felt he was yelling at her. Remember she even said something to the effect of him talking to her like an idiot, and if any student feels like that, there's something seriously wrong. There was that shot where he was like "left, left, show me your left," like she wouldn't know where her left was. There's a better way to teach. You wouldn't ever see Derek Hough or Mark Ballas act like that. They have fun rehearsals and usually, their dancers have fun with it on the dance floor. And the result of Maks 'tough' teaching was a tango that was so stiff that it was painful to watch. If the dancers aren't having fun, the audience isn't having fun."
I totally agree.... after all, it is not like these celebrities are planning to take up dance as a profession. Whatever their reasons are for doing the show, I don't think any of them want to sign on to be bullied.
Do you find this valuable?    

greenknees
6. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 30 2009, 5:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 5:50 PM EDT
TPTB and Maks have been hyping his teaching style as dictatorial from day one. It is a persona for TV that is exaggerated far beyond its reality. Maksim has so darned many students and their parents to speak to his effective teaching, albeit a strong-willed method apropos of his Russian upbringing.

His stronger partners yell back and get on with it. Much of the crying is the celebs frustration with her own difficulty learning. The main motivation, I would guess, is his insistence of striving for excellence in dance. He's tough, he's loud at times, but for goodness sake, yell back or just do it. Don't expect handholding and coddling.

In Debi's case, her constant talking just distracts from her learning and drives Maks himself crazy. Is she the "jerk" then? Neither one is -- they are funny, tough and talented. Get off this phoney subject.
2  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

DebraAdamoGrant
7. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 30 2009, 6:33 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 6:33 PM EDT
you have to remember that what is shown on the clips are just very small samples of what happens during the week. ABC (not Maks) is so set on portraying him as mean teacher. From what we've heard from people who have taken lessons from him he is far from that. Maks and Debi have both said how the spend a lot of time laughing as well as bickering back and forth. That is two strong personalities working together. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

Lovethedance
8. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Sep 30 2009, 8:48 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 30 2009, 8:48 PM EDT
Louis has made his partners cry, and no one has called him a "jerk".Do you think if Anna T was a man, she wouldn't be considered "harsh" and "mean" to her partners?How sexist! The truth is, any one of the pro teachers has probably made their partner upset and they only edit certain ones(and the male ones, like Tony/Staci maks/any partner) to look like they are overly mean and the problem wasn't the "star" being overly emotional or whatever.
Most of them, unless they are pro athletes, aren't used to being told what to do.That footage with Debi was probably the only thing they had with her being weepy and they decided to use it because they want a certain edit for her.Maks treats all his students the same way from what I have seen, from tiny kids to old people.
1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    

moonchick
9. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Oct 1 2009, 2:22 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 2:22 AM EDT
How about Cheryl Burke or Anna T.? I guaranty that if some of their partners didn't cry, they wanted to. But because they're teaching "men" it's okay because guys are tough and they can take it. Please. ABC has put every Pro in a pigeon hole and they are bound and determined to find footage that plays that out. We are seeing a snippet of what are days of footage. No one knows how many times that day Maks had to ask Debi to go left or whatever it was. And since they have this great relationship if anyone has seen their interviews, there's a lot of fun and laughing that isn't hitting the clip packages. Maks has a lifetime of experience that he is sharing, his students at his studios love him. I personally know people who have taken coaching and lessons from him and think he's a wonderful teacher. Ballroom is grueling and the vast majority of these celebrities have no idea what's involved. Debi herself said she thought she was a great dancer, danced all her life in clubs for fun. Apparently not correctly for Ballroom. That's a lot of years of bad habits to correct. Give the guy a break. And Debi too. 1  out of 1 found this valuable. Do you?    
eguy
eguy
10. RE: Maks: Jerk, or just a tough instructor?
Oct 1 2009, 9:28 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 9:28 AM EDT
I get that the editing is done and takes stuff out of context. I get that stars can be divas and a pain in the ass. And I don't like the way that Cheryl or Anna teach either. I think Cheryl can be seriously bitchy. What I'm saying is that a teacher's job is to do one thing, get the best from his/her students. And if they aren't getting the best from their students, they have to adapt and change. If Maks is fed up with Debi talking in practice, he should talk to her about that, not take it out in other ways. I see a lot of potential in Debi and it's not being brought out. I also see her trying really hard. I don't think he needs to hold her hand, but if being somewhat more gentle gets a better response out of her, then why not do it? It's because he has a temper, and that's his problem, not hers. And I also get the cultural thing, he was brought up tough. So what. He needs to get over it and do what he was brought to DWTS to do, and that's to teach. I know if my paycheck depended on it, I would be trying to figure out and communicate with my student on the best way to teach them. So in the end, he's really just hurting himself. You can still be a tough teacher without being an ass. I've had plenty of teachers that demanded a lot but weren't a-holes about it. And a student will do more to make a teacher they like happy then a teacher they don't like. Taken out of context or not, the clips were demeaning. 1  out of 2 found this valuable. Do you?    

Related Content

(what's this?Related ContentThanks to keyword tags, links to related pages and threads are added to the bottom of your pages. Up to 15 links are shown, determined by matching tags and by how recently the content was updated; keeping the most current at the top. Share your feedback on WikiFoundry Central.)