Discussion: Mya's Previous Ballroom TrainingReported This is a featured thread

Showing 8 posts

offwithherhead
Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 6 2009, 5:58 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 6 2009, 6:01 PM EDT
I knew that Mya was in the movie, "Shall We Dance", so I figured that she had definite training. I pulled out my DVD of the movie and went through it. Did this one screen cap for you, and when I checked out the extras, there was a deleted scene of the entire Cha Cha Cha that she and Omar Benson Miller had done. Had training....I'll say! They also danced a Paso Doble in the movie. And btw, three of the dance instructors on the movie were, Tony Dovolani, Karina Smirnoff, and Charlotte Jorgensen.

I guess I wonder about the fairness of having someone with all that training competing against someone who has never stepped on a ballroom dance floor. I know someone mentioned Kelly's training in hip hop, and Jazz, but that is like comparing figure skating and playing hockey. Don't get me wrong, I think that Mya is a very good dancer..she should be. But is it fair? Your thoughts?
Do you find this valuable?    
jakefwp
jakefwp
1. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 6 2009, 7:26 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 6 2009, 7:26 PM EDT
I was thinking the same thing after her dance last night.... It is a bummer when one dancer clearly has an advantage over the others. I'd like to think that, say, Natalie would have a chance if she kept improving, but it will be tough for her or anyone to catch up to Mya's skills.

I'm sure it would be tough to put together a whole cast of celebrities that have zero dance experience, but personally I'd love to see them set the bar a little lower on prior dance skills.

Related to that: I felt like Kristi Yamaguchi had a big advantage a few seasons ago because of her figure skating background, even though it wasn't strictly dance training. Not sure if that's a fair assessment or not.
BrandonE
BrandonE
2. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 6 2009, 7:49 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 6 2009, 7:49 PM EDT
I think that's why Len gave Mya a 7. He knows she has training, so he probably expects a lot more. Do you find this valuable?    

offwithherhead
3. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 7 2009, 5:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 7 2009, 5:56 AM EDT
"Related to that: I felt like Kristi Yamaguchi had a big advantage a few seasons ago because of her figure skating background, even though it wasn't strictly dance training. Not sure if that's a fair assessment or not."
Sorry jakefwp, but skating is completely different. My niece and nephew were in competitive Ice Dance and I would cringe to think of them performing on a dance floor. Part of a singles skaters requirements, to advance in levels, is to pass their "dances" . My nephew used to partner ladies singles skaters in their training and testing, but these dances resemble actual dancing in little more than name, when you compare them to the ballroom. The basic advantage she would have had is that she "heard" of these dances before. She would have had a slight advantage in her musicality and performing to music. Another advantage is that she would have been used to taking instruction and coaching...not to mention having a good work ethic. Wow, maybe she did have an advantage! lol

MillieStandridge
4. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 13 2009, 5:42 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 5:42 AM EDT
When Kelly Osborne said that another celebrity had previous training, everyone thought it was Donny, But the real culprit is Mya. She should not be allowed to compete against the other stars because of her previous dance training. It is not fair. If I remember correctly, the young girl from the Cheatah Girls was on the show a couple of years ago and she was "voted" out. They said it was the fans that did it, but she was a fan favorite. People believed that it was unfair for her to be on the show because she was a hip-hop dancer and had training. The only thing that can be done is for the public to vote, vote, vote. I personally think Donny is the better dancer of all on the show followed by a close 2 in Aaron Carter. The "swimmer" whom the judges seem to favor does nothing but stretch her arms and legs. I have yet to see her actually dance...? Do you find this valuable?    

offwithherhead
5. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 13 2009, 5:56 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 5:56 AM EDT
"When Kelly Osborne said that another celebrity had previous training, everyone thought it was Donny, But the real culprit is Mya. She should not be allowed to compete against the other stars because of her previous dance training. It is not fair. "
...and I agree with BrandonE when he says that is why Len marks her so hard. He should hold her to a different standard than the other dancers. I have to be honest that I find she is a little less than gracious with his criticism about her dancing.

Let's face it, alot of the stars have had some sort of dance experience in different areas, but Mya has had ballroom experience. This is why I just can't seem to get too hepped up on her. And did anyone notice her eye makeup last night? How wierd was that? Her right eye had pink shadow and her left had black shadow...made her look like she had a black eye. During the time she was getting her review by the judges, I couldn't stop looking at her eyes. OK, I am wierd too. lol

MillieStandridge
6. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 13 2009, 6:19 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 6:19 AM EDT
"When Kelly Osborne said that another celebrity had previous training, everyone thought it was Donny, But the real culprit is Mya. She should not be allowed to compete against the other stars because of her previous dance training. It is not fair. If I remember correctly, the young girl from the Cheatah Girls was on the show a couple of years ago and she was "voted" out. They said it was the fans that did it, but she was a fan favorite. People believed that it was unfair for her to be on the show because she was a hip-hop dancer and had training. The only thing that can be done is for the public to vote, vote, vote. I personally think Donny is the better dancer of all on the show followed by a close 2 in Aaron Carter. The "swimmer" whom the judges seem to favor does nothing but stretch her arms and legs. I have yet to see her actually dance...?"
Len is actually marking everyone hard this year. Everyone except the "swimmer" (forgive me but I can not remember her name). AS far as her eyes, gross. Someone needs to give the makeup artist a few lessons. However, who ever did Louie's makeup did a great job.
dwtsjen
dwtsjen
7. RE: Mya's Previous Ballroom Training
Oct 13 2009, 7:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Oct 13 2009, 7:11 AM EDT
I didn't realize that Mya had so much previous training. That doesn't seem fair to the other celebrities. I'll be disappointed if she wins.

And about the makeup - it is WAK this season!