Discussion: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..Reported This is a featured thread

Showing 1 - 20 of 48  |  Show  posts at a time
2 3 | Next
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 13 2009, 9:25 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 13 2009, 9:25 AM EDT
This guy is in it to win it! I can't wait to see these two dance. Do you find this valuable?    
Keyword tags: None

offwithherhead
1. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 13 2009, 7:07 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 13 2009, 7:07 PM EDT
I have to be honest that at first I wasn't so sure about Mark, but when I saw the photos of the new teams, I was very pleased. He really has the appearance of a dancer. When looking at some of the other teams' pictures I felt many of them looked very stiff. If they can't deliver a comfortable looking dance frame in a picture I doubt that it will translate well to the floor. I am with you ShaolinLace1, I think Mark will give them all a run for their money. His martial arts history should help in body awareness that should hopefully translate to the dance floor.

BTW, welcome to the site!
Do you find this valuable?    
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
2. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 14 2009, 4:11 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 14 2009, 4:11 AM EDT
Yes, I agree. There's a lot to be gleened from early pictures. For example Kathy Ireland is standing in a model's pose, but her shoulders are wrong. I think Mark is the type of guy who is going to work extremely hard. He's no stranger to intensive physical activity, and I've learned he's not only a good martial artist, he's probably one of the best in the business.
And he's an actor, so he's really someone who can also sell a routine. Couple that with Lacey's avante garde approach to choreography and he may just get a lot of votes. I hope he does. And thank you for the welcome!
jakefwp
jakefwp
3. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 19 2009, 3:25 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 19 2009, 3:25 PM EDT
Great observations! I bet you're right about Mark. He just looks like a dancer. Do you find this valuable?    
NicoleJobin-Wenzloff
NicoleJobin-Wenzloff
4. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 20 2009, 11:41 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 20 2009, 11:41 AM EDT
I agree 100%! Fantastic martial artists are light on their feet and have amazing core body control, stands to reason that he will be an amazing dancer. I have to admit that I wasn't really a DWTS fan... then I found out he was dancing! I will be hooked this season! GO MARK!! Do you find this valuable?    
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
5. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 9:03 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 9:03 AM EDT
The only thing Mark has against him is recognition in the US. It seems with a lot of his films being released in Europe and other countries he's just not that well known, ironic, but true. I think he's going to be challenged by Carter, Irwin, Osmond for the men. I hope he can do what Gilles was able to do, and that's dance well. Do you find this valuable?    
NicoleJobin-Wenzloff
NicoleJobin-Wenzloff
6. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 1:37 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 1:37 PM EDT
My husband just told me that Mark is very well known in the US especially in the martial arts world. Only The Strong put him on the map plus in the movie Cradle To The Grave with Jet Li he had an awesome fight scene. The Crow: Stairway To Heaven was a pretty good show and had a news article written up about it in Kung Fu Magazine. In the food world he is known because of his Uncle who was the original host of Iron Chef. I think he'll move better on the floor than Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell Do you find this valuable?    
jakefwp
jakefwp
7. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 3:24 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 3:24 PM EDT
Gilles certainly proved that if you're good, and likable, you can build up a fan base basically from scratch. I keep reading how much fun Mark is, so that sounds like a very possible scenario! Do you find this valuable?    
BrandonE
BrandonE
8. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 3:36 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 3:36 PM EDT
Wow! Mark's dance was amazing! Holy cow, that was really good. Do you find this valuable?    
jakefwp
jakefwp
9. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 8:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 8:28 PM EDT
"Wow! Mark's dance was amazing! Holy cow, that was really good."
Totally agree. I was disappointed in the scores he got!
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
10. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 8:43 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 8:43 PM EDT
I loved Mark tonight. He's definitely the one to watch this season. I thought the judges were hard on everyone tonight, nobody got a pass, and in fact the lower scoring dancers I felt sorry for them, especially Ashley.
I think Mark is a great student of dancing and I loved their fun cheeky Cha Cha Cha. Some of the lines he hits are simply outstanding...the leg kick in VWaltz, the spins on the Cha Cha.. he had a lot of adrenalin and nerves going, I'm sure as there were a couple of baubles but he rocked it. I can't believe this guy is 45. He dances like a 25 year old.
BrandonE
BrandonE
11. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 21 2009, 8:45 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 21 2009, 8:45 PM EDT
" I can't believe this guy is 45. He dances like a 25 year old. "
Exactly! He's really good, and I was shocked he still has action in him.

offwithherhead
12. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 23 2009, 2:31 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 23 2009, 2:31 PM EDT
This guy is a real contender. If he can just get his feet under control a bit better, he will be untouchable (in the men's group). Do you find this valuable?    
stuckincement
stuckincement
13. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 27 2009, 5:27 AM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2009, 6:09 PM EDT
Well, if you've noticed my avatar, you know whom I'm rooting for. Well, Chuck and Michael Irvin. I'm part of the "Jock" vote. I really don't ever watch this show except for the two of them being in it this season. MMA! Cowboys! Hoorah!

If you did not know; Chuck doesn't go looking for a fight, but he will never back down from one(Go read his book, he's really smart too)! Kinda' the way we are as Americans? Michael too.(I pick my heroes that way).

I watched the opening number with the pro-dancer guys dancing to "The Boy's are Back in Town", and I can't see either Chuck or Michael moving that way.

I found Len's comment to Chuck about finding his "feminine" side, offensive, as I hope the Pro-Guys' did too.

Anyway, back to Mark. He's on the "Jock" list. Mine goes this way: Chuck, Michael, Louie, Mark.

Mark! Ya' gotta represent Bro!

Oh, on the ladies' side: They are all winners! Kelly surprised me though, from Goth to Glam? Awesome! I think we all saw what Ozzie and Sharon saw! Major Proud! Go Lil' Sis!

ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
14. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Sep 27 2009, 12:59 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 27 2009, 1:01 PM EDT
As far as the men go in this competition, I'm, convinced Mark is the one to watch. He said on a radio interview that he forgot the choreography at the end, and just improvised and put in extra Kung Fu moves. That's amazing. That's the only thing that Len criticized..too much Kung Fu and some footwork at the end. I thought until his little mess up he was definitely working an 8 for that performance. His quick thinking kept that dance from being a 6.
And as the Winnipeg Sun wrote:

Dancing With the Stars (premiere)
http://www.winnipegsun.com/entertainment/tv/2009/09/26/11129821-sun.html
Shocker of the Night: Iron Chef America chairman Mark Dacascos is a cha-cha-charmer. His secret ingredient: Martial arts training.

ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
15. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Oct 1 2009, 4:10 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 4:10 PM EDT
Mark is still my guy in this show. I thought Monday's trip was unfortunate, but we learned that he's losing weight and tripped on his pants...I thought the Quickstep was really well done otherwise. Baz remarked that he thought Mark could become a "great" Ballroom dancer, and it's certainly how I feel as well.

I learned next week they have the Rumba, dancing to "Don't Lie" by the Black Eyed Peas.. I am looking forward to it.
jakefwp
jakefwp
16. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Oct 1 2009, 7:28 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 7:28 PM EDT
"we learned that he's losing weight and tripped on his pants..."
That is awesome! Kind of hard to blame him for that! I agree that he could be great and thought going into the season that he had to be one of the favorites.

offwithherhead
17. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Oct 1 2009, 8:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 1 2009, 8:34 PM EDT
I think he will have a breakthrough soon, and when he turns that corner...watch out! :) Do you find this valuable?    
ShaolinLace1
ShaolinLace1
18. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Oct 2 2009, 2:12 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2009, 2:12 PM EDT
Check out this rehearsal of the Quickstep on Lacey's blog
No trips, just a lot of fun...and holy cow that last move is hilarious, but obviously not for prime time!! LOL
http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2009/10/exclusive-dwts-video-blog-lacey-schwimmer-hits-carpet-talks-extensions

offwithherhead
19. RE: Mark Dacascos the Dark Horse..
Oct 2 2009, 4:34 PM EDT | Post edited: Oct 2 2009, 4:34 PM EDT
I tried the link and the site comes up, but the video won't play. I'll try it again later. :) Do you find this valuable?    
2 3 | Next