| Video Dance Lesson || Dance As Seen On The Show || About The Dance|
The Cha Cha
The Cha Cha by Cheryl Burke and Gilles Marini
| The Cha Cha is a cheeky, lively and flirtatious dance. There are five distinctive foot movements that are danced in 4 beats, giving it it's recognisable "One, Two, Cha Cha Cha". |
-Triple Steps (Chassez)
- Rock steps
-Cuban motion (hip movement resulting from the alternating bending and straightening of the knees)
- Synchronised dance movement as the dancers work in parallel to each other
- The New Yorker is another move characteristic of this dance, where one dancer steps across their partner and then checks to change direction.
| The Foxtrot || The Foxtrot by Kym Johnson and Joey Fatone || The Foxtrot is a dance that was created as a result of an act that an actor named Harry Fox did. Dancers began copying his act and they called it Fox's Trot. It is referred to as the Rolls Royce of the standard dances due to it's smooth style with continuous forward and backward movements. It's timing is "slow- quick-quick-slow".|
Distinctive Moves :
- The Weave.. Six quick steps in a row ( all done on the toes)
- The Feather Step... When the man steps outside the girl
- Zigzag patterns that the dancers create on the dance-floor.
| The Jive || The Jive by Julianne and Derek Hough || The Jive has it's roots in New York's Harlem, and derives influences from Boogie, Rock'n Roll, Swing and the Lindyhop. It is fast, rhythmical and swinging with lots of kicks, flicks and twirling of the woman. The feet and knees remain under the body and the knees should be close together.|
- The basic moves are right and left Chassez's,and rock steps where the weight is cahnged from one foot to the other. - The "flick-ball-change" movements. - The kicks are distinctive because the toes are always pointed to the floor during the kick. - The American Spin (the man lets go of his partner allowing her to spin on her own.
| The Paso Doble || The Paso Doble by Julianne Hough and Apollo Anton Ono |
| The Quickstep || The Quickstep by Alec Mazo and Toni Braxton |
| The Rumba || The Rumba by Tony Dovolani and Melissa Rycroft |
| The Samba || The Samba by Mark Ballas and Shawn Johnson |
| The Tango || The Tango by Maxim Chmerkovsky and Mel B. |
| The Waltz || The Waltz by Derek Hough and Brooke Burke |
| The Salsa || The Salsa by Tony Dovolani and Melissa Rycroft |